Thursday, July 3, 2008

Chemo round 1 is done!

And I pretty much feel like crap, heh. Actually it really hasn't been too bad. So far I haven't felt any of the really bad side-effects I was expecting, like severe nausea and vomiting (the anti-nausea drugs must be working), but a few other funny things have crept up over the last few days that make me feel weird. For example:
  • I'm really tired a lot (duh)
  • am having indigestion
  • have lost some sense of taste (like sweets, grr)
  • I've been tired some more
  • water tastes really weird (not as crisp)
  • the ends of my teeth are numb (chemo affects your gums)
  • coughing, shortness of breath, sore throat
  • irritable :)
Though I have re-discovered the joys of naps, which if you haven't taken any lately, you should. Naps are so nice in the evenings and afternoons and can so totally give you such positive energy during and after. Especially that feeling when you climb in bed and you kick off your shoes and socks, and the sheets feel so damn comfy-cozy. Then the feeling you have when you wake up after a 20-minute nap. Man that's the best.

So anyway, yesterday was my last day of chemo (round 1), and I should start to feel better in a few days. The next round will start in about 3 weeks and should last 5 days, and then we'll be doing chemo treatments once a month until the transplant happens. Btw, for those technically interested, there is a thing called a Nadir Point for Azacytadine which means that my blood counts will hit their lowest point about 10-17 days after the start of the chemo, then should increase by the 28th day. However, I *should* feel physically better in a few days, so we'll see how that goes.

Speaking of transplants, we found out this morning that neither my sister nor parents are a match for HLA typing (there was only a 1 in 3 chance of my sister being a match anyway), so now it's time to hit the anonymous donor database. I'll send more info on that tomorrow, but the short answer is that potential donors should sign up with the National Marrow Donor Program (http://marrow.org/). They'll send a little kit that you send back with a cheek swab, and then you're entered into the database. You can also visit the Puget Sound Blood Center to do the cheek swab locally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the "traditional" side-effects of chemo have been kept at bay. A credit to the ongoing research in this area, I'm sure. And probably to your positive spirit, as well. Hang in there stever, we're thinking about you.

obscurity said...

Well I guess the good news there is that we all have our chance to be "the one" ... oh yeah you know know we all secretly want it to be us!

Well congrats on getting through round 1 without vomiting! I knew your appetite was no match for what they could throw at you!